Position: Literacy manager and Year 5/6 class teacher.
Location: Highbury Primary
- Literacy manager
- Year 5/6 class teacher.
- Active role in Talk for Writing cluster group
Experiences in Leading Improvements in Learning and Teaching:
- Introduction of the New Literacy Curriculum – creating progression documents within reading, writing, spelling, phonics and handwriting.
- Introduction of assessments for spelling and phonics from the New Curriculum from Reception to Year 6.
- Creating a whole class teaching approach within Talk for Writing, including supporting other schools.
- Completion of a 2 year cycle curriculum overview – taking into account the New Curriculum topics within foundation subjects. All texts are now chosen to cover areas within the New Curriculum to create a cross curricular curriculum.
- Support for new staff and NQT’s in the Talk for Writing approach, feedback marking and levelling.
- Monitoring of levelling, teaching, feedback marking and parity between all year groups literacy books and the quality of writing throughout all other subjects.
- Introduction of self-assessment for the children to complete to help chose and embed targets.
- Supporting whole school and working closely with the inclusion leader in reading and writing interventions.
Specific Areas of Expertise:
- Talk for Writing approach and strategies to improve writing and reading.
- Creating an engaging text based curriculum, making sure that genre coverage is covered not only in literacy lessons.
- Ensuring writing is effective throughout other subjects.
- Implementation of new strategies towards literacy including assessment of spelling and phonics.
- Moderation of writing
- Target setting within writing that is child friendly.
- Effective feedback marking.
- Supporting all staff through periods of change and development.