Position: KS4 Coordinator Of English, Teaching Champion
Location: St. Edmund’s Catholic School, Portsmouth
- Delivery of INSET and whole staff briefings on a range of pedagogical areas including differentiation, niche group – related pedagogy, engagement, revision
- Working with individuals and groups of individuals to improve practice both in and outside the classroom
- Co-ordination of KS4 English – resources, moderation, progress tracking
Experience in leading improvements in learning and teaching:
- I was appointed Teaching Champion in Jan 2012 at St. Edmund’s with a manifesto to improve Teaching and Learning from 55% good or outstanding teaching. 92% was achieved by summer 2014 through weekly Teaching and Learning briefings, INSET and working closely with staff identified as needing guidance on practice. This has since been consolidated through our achievement of Outstanding in Feb 2016. I still regularly deliver workshops and training to staff to keep driving standards further, and encourage staff to share good practice through a variety of forums.
- I have been visiting St. George’s Catholic School to audit teaching and learning since 2013, working closely with SMT across all departments at the school to validate SEF and Teaching and Learning. The school was given Good again in April 2016 with the improvement of Teaching and Learning singled out within their report.
- I have been at the forefront of taking Teaching and Learning ‘out of the classroom’ at St. Edmund’s and encouraging pupils to show resilience and reflexivity in their learning. I am a huge advocate of being creative in the delivery of revision materials and giving both staff and the pupils the skills they need to progress.
Specific SLE area of expertise:
Other areas of expertise:
- Engaging pupils in learning, use of ICT/video/sound in learning