Position: Director of Mathematics for Portsmouth Collaboration of Schools
Specialism: Mathematics and Numeracy
Location: Portsmouth College
- SLE (Secondary Mathematics)
- Accredited NCETM Professional Lead in Primary and Secondary Mathematics
- Responsible for attainment and progress in Mathematics in 6 secondary schools across the City of Portsmouth
- Adviser to National Numeracy –a charity working towards improved adult Numeracy and parental engagement
Experiences in Leading Improvements in Learning and Teaching:
- 20 years experience as Head of Mathematics across four schools raising attainment in each.
- AST experience working in both secondary and primary schools.
- Programme Leader in Mathematics in a Swedish style academy chain developing a programme of study.
- The development of mathematics for gifted and talented students in year 11.
- I have led Mathematics in six secondary schools in Portsmouth for the past 3 years. In that time there has been a sustained increase in GCSE outcomes,
- I am a member of the National Development team on the research project ‘Multiplicative Reasoning at KS3’.
Specific SLE Areas of Expertise: Mathematics and Numeracy :
- Supporting Heads of Departments develop mathematical thinking amongst students and staff,
- Supporting schools to develop non-specialist mathematics teachers.
- Developing whole school Numeracy strategies.
- Developing transition strategies between KS2 and KS3.
- The use of data to develop intervention to increase progress for all students at all stages.