Further information

Professional Skills Tests:

You will be required to have passed the skills tests in both English and Mathematics before the start of the course. The registration system is now open and we encourage all applicants to take the tests as early as possible to avoid the disappointment of gaining a place and not being able to start.

How to apply for the Professional Skills Tests

      • Book your tests via the DfE skills test registration page or by phoning 0300 303 9613.
      • You can access updated practice tests, including punctuation for the literacy test, via the DfE skills test pages. This is updated regularly with relevant information.
      • Special arrangements can be requested and further information on who is eligible and how to apply can be found on the DfE website
      • On the day of your test you will need to take proof of application to ITT with your DBS and Occupational Health 
      • You must undertake an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS) and an occupational health assessment to assess fitness for teaching. Tuition fee applicants will have these completed by the HEI and Salaried applicants by the school in which they work.

                                Degree requirements 

      • You must hold a degree of a UK university, higher education institution or an acceptable equivalent at 2.2 or above.
      • The degree should include a minimum content of 50% which is directly related to the subject which you are training to teach (Secondary).
      • You must be able to demonstrate appropriate subject knowledge for the age range you intend to teach.
      • If the degree is not in the subject specialism, you must hold an A Level in the subject or have considerable relevant industry experience.
      • Applicants with a non-UK degree will be required to demonstrate equivalence with UK standards through NARIC.

                               GCSE requirements 

      • You must be in possession of GCSE grade C or above in English (or English Language) and Mathematics. If you are training within Primary you must also hold a GCSE grade C or above in Science.
      • If you are otherwise suitable for ITT but, for whatever reason, have not successfully achieved a GCSE grade C you may be given an opportunity to take an equivalence test, at your own cost.
      • Applicants with non-UK secondary school qualifications will be required to demonstrate equivalence with UK GCSE standards through NARIC.

All applicants must be able to provide original certificates of academic and equivalent qualifications.

Visa to Study:

If you are from a non-EU country, then you must hold an appropriate visa stating that you are eligible to study in the UK for the duration of the course.